City Council Members
Bruce Stevens - Ward 1
JK Williams - Ward 1
Truman Bullard - Ward 2
Ricky Shuttleworth - Ward 2
Cindy Hubberd - Ward 3
Dana Woods - Ward 3
City council members are officers and officials of their city.
Here are some of the councils responsibilities.
* Has the management and control of the city finances and all real and personal property belonging to the city (Hdbk. 14-43-502).
* Approves or disapproves an annual operating budget by February of each year (Hdbk. 14-58-202).
* Sets the procedures by ordinance for making purchases that do not exceed the sum of $10,000 in cities of the first class. Councils in second class cities and in towns may set procedures for making all pur-chases (Hdbk. 14-58-303(b)).
* Sets the time and place for regular city council meetings (Hdbk. 14-43-501).
All meetings should be open to the public in accord with the state Freedom of Information Act (Hdbk. 25-19-106).
* May override the mayor's appointment and removal of department heads by two-thirds vote of the total membership (Hdbk. 14-42-110).
* May override the mayor's veto by two-thirds vote [Hdbk. 14-43-504(e);14-44-107(b); 14-45-105(b)].
* Calls for a special election in cities of the first class to fill the vacancy of the unexpired mayor's term of office, if the unexpired term is for more than six (6) months [Hdbk. 14-43-401(b)(l)].
* May fill, by appointment in cities of the first class, the vacancy to the office of mayor if the expired term is less than six (6) months [Hdbk. 14-43-401(b)(l)].
* In a city of the second class the city council shall fill the mayor's unexpired term by either a majority vote of the aldermen or a special election (Hdbk. 14-44-106). In an incorporated town the alder-men select a qualified elector to fill the mayoral vacancy and do not hold a special election (Hdbk. 14-45-103).
* Sets the salaries of the mayor, council and other municipal officials. Salaries of officials may be increased during the term, but not decreased during the term of office unless requested by that official (Hdbk. 14-42-113).